Eco-friendly Nivea - Should you try?

By Glow Up Beauty Blog - October 19, 2020


NIVEA Fresh Blends Shower Cream gives you a sensation of joy and natural freshness. The delightful & refreshing readily biodegradable formula is lovingly blended with naturally derived ingredients, fruit extracts & plant-based milk. Yes, our bottles may be a little grey but we make these from 100% recycled plastic, helping you & us to reduce our impact on the environment. - Nivea UK website.

  • Refreshing shower cream that excites the senses 
  •  For healthy & fresh skin
  •  Kind on skin and planet
  •  Readily biodegradable formula
  •  90% naturally derived ingredients
  •  Vegan formula – no animal or animal-derived ingredients 
  •  Bottle made from 100% recycled plastic

I picked these up from my local Wilko for £4 each:

Fresh Blends Shower Cream with Raspberry, Blueberry and Almond Milk -RRP £4
Fresh Blends Shower Cream with Watermelon, Mint and Coconut Milk -RRP £4
Fresh Blends Shower Cream with Apricot, Mango and Rice Milk -RRP £4

What really excited me to try out these shower creams and write a post about them was because of the packaging. I was so delighted to see a bottle made out of eco-friendly recycled plastic in the mass-market arena that I knew I should write a post about these. Also, the names of the products really appealed to me and I really had high hopes for the scents.


Eco-packaging
So these bottles are made out of 100% recycled plastic and what made me very impressed was the fact that the bottles seem to be super clear. Usually recycled plastic has a grey undertone that can make bottles and other packaging look unappealing, but these looked as good as virgin plastic.

Formula

This product is meant to be a shower cream, while it delivers the nourishing side of a cream, it is definitely a shower gel formula, not a cream.  It is a nice gel-like formula with 90% naturally derived ingredients, it is also biodegradable and vegan. There a lot of people who might not really care about the feel of their shower gel or cream, but I'm pretty obsessed about details. While I really enjoy using these, the formula feels the same as most cheaper shower gels and it is not really memorable, while the price point is a bit high for just an average shower gel.

Scents

I was a bit of disappointed about the scents in the products, while the front text excited me to believe these shower gels might have a unique and complex smell that would satisfy even more snobby taste I was wrong - they smell like any other mango, watermelon and raspberry shower gels. The scents are nice and refreshing and I think most people would enjoy them, but they are definitely not any luxury scents, but at the same time, we are talking about Nivea products that are targeted to mass market.


Overall thoughts?

I really admire the eco-friendly aspect of the product and hope that more of the big skincare giants with affordable price points would follow to lead, but for my taste, these shower creams were a bit too mass market for their scents and looks, while definitely being a bit high on a price point for most drugstore shower creams. While I understand that natural formulas can be more expensive to make and recycled plastic is more expensive, I wish they had picked a bit more exotic fragrances or looks to the products for the price point.


Nivea is owned by Beiensercrof. You can find Nivea sustainability goals and information here: https://www.nivea.co.uk/about-us/sustainability/world-is-our-skin 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments