August Birchbox UK 2020 Review

By Glow Up Beauty Blog - August 27, 2020

August Birchbox beauty box products

The July's Birchbox was one of the best beauty boxes I have ever received, so August's box had a very thought spot being after such a successful box. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the August box as well even if a few items were a big disappointment. 


On August's box I got these 5 products:

  • Amika - Soulfood Nourishing Mask
  • Realher - Incredible Bronzer
  • VO - Pineapple Peeling Gel
  • Sunny Isle - Jamaican Black Castor Oil Eyelash & Eyebrow Serum 59ml (full size)
  • Lord & Berry - Line & Shade Glam eye pencil - colour Dore 230 (full size)


Amika Soulfood Nourishing Mask

Amika - Soulfood Nourishing Mask 20ml

I use hair masks all the time and I loved this little mask, but the 20ml on my long bleached hair didn't really last for long. The mask is nice and nourishing and has a sophisticated fruity scent that I enjoyed. It has some natural ingredients like Jojoba Oil and Seabuckthorn Oil that I really like.

Overall would I purchase this? I'm not too sure, I really enjoyed the hair mask and I used it up quickly but did it wow me? Not really. I will most likely stick to my drugstore hair masks that I currently use.

Score: 3/5

Lord & Berry - Line & Shade Glam eye pencil - colour Dore 230

Lord & Berry - Line & Shade Glam eye pencil - colour Dore 230 (full size)

I feel like I have seen Lord & Berry makeup before on a lot of beauty boxes, so I wasn't too excited when I saw this on the box. When applying to the hand I got a bit excited the colour seemed beautiful and I wanted to try this on my lid asap. Unfortunately, this item was a big disappointment for me. It didn't show up on my lid, the pencil was so hard that even pressing hard I felt that no colour came out of the pencil. After that I tried to use it as a liner, same thing happened no colour payoff, no glide, just irritated eyes, in the end I tried to apply it first to my hand and then took my finger to pat it to my lid, while this actually worked the shade that I was able to build up to my lid looked just muddy and not appealing at all.

Would I purchase this? Definitely not, I will throw this item out as I won't use it and I don't think anyone else would enjoy it either.

Score: 0/5

Realher - Incredible Bronzer Swatch on an arm

Realher - Incredible Bronzer

I have never heard about this brand before and I was super excited to try out a new bronzer. When I received this I admired the beautiful packaging - marble compact with a mirror. While I wouldn't personally need a mirror on a mini bronzer, I really liked that they had invested money in an item that people would be trying out.

The bronzer itself, I'm not 100% sure if I love it or hated. Complexion products are my favourite and I love bronzers, blushers and powders. There is a lot of good things about this bronzer, it is super smooth and buttery, it applies well and the colour seems to be very blendable and usable for many skin tones including my pale skin. 

Then there are things that I wonder about, the bronzer seems to have a bit of a sheen that seems to make my skin look a bit muddy, but I'm not sure if it is just the tone of the bronzer that has a bit of olive undertone to it or the sheen. 

Overall I enjoy this bronzer. The packaging is gorgeous the bronzer is buttery and I will definitely use this up.

Score: 4/5


Sunny Isle - Jamaican Black Castor Oil Eyelash & Eyebrow Serum

Sunny Isle - Jamaican Black Castor Oil Eyelash & Eyebrow Serum 59ml (full size)

To be honest, I don't really have a lot to say about this product. It had leaked a bit when it arrived, but it was not a big deal, it happens. When seeing it on the box, I knew I didn't really have use for this product other than oil it was as I don't really believe the power of Castor Oil growing you eyelashes and eyebrows and I don't really need a serum for them either. 

The serums comes with a mascara wand which was handy and the oil itself is pure Castor oil which has a nice thick texture and it is easy to apply to eyebrows and eyelashes. I will definitely use this up as a normal oil - use it as face oil, hair oil or cuticle oil. So overall this was an ok item to receive,

Score: 2/5 (just wasn't for me)

VO - Pineapple Peeling Gel swatch on arm

VO - Pineapple Peeling Gel 20ml

This was one of the items I was super excited to try. I had been eying their website for a few weeks thinking about making a purchase, so this came perfect time. Overall I'm not a big fan of exfoliators as I have thin and sensitive skin, so there is not a lot of use out of exfoliator for me. Anyways I was really interested what type of peeling gel VO had created. 

The packaging itself is a super cute yellow tube. The formula is a thick gel, but when applied on the skin and massaged in it pills up to small crumbles that exfoliate the skin gently. This was a pleasure to use and the crumbles very gentle enough for my skin. Also 20ml is a good size for this to try.

Why I really enjoyed using this, it didn't wow me. It was nice, didn't irritate my skin, but overall I couldn't see any big difference on my skin. Most likely on someone else's skincare routine, this could be a great addition but for me, my skin doesn't really need it.

Score: 4/5

You can purchase Birchbox UK here: https://www.birchbox.co.uk/

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments